Who we are
There are a lot of different places to buy educational toys, games and Montessori materials - so why should you choose us? Located in Toronto, Canada, Thinkamajigs (formerly Perrytech Montessori) is part of a family business that has been supplying quality educational materials since 1963. Our family’s history with Montessori education spans four generations, starting with my grandmother who became a Montessori teacher in England after attending an introductory lecture given by Maria Montessori in 1923. My father, who founded our company, is a Montessori graduate, as are my younger sister and I, and my nephew graduated from Montessori school in 2012.
Noticing that there were very few suppliers of quality Montessori teaching materials at the time, in 1995 we created Perrytech Montessori and began offering Montessori materials by Gonzagarredi – one of only three manufacturers in the world officially approved by the Association Montessori Internationale (AMI). A short time later we expanded our range to include a more affordable line of Montessori materials, and we are constantly seeking out other opportunities to enhance our product line with fun, unique and inspirational products. In September 2016 we changed our name from Perrytech Montessori to Thinkamajigs to better reflect the broader range of educational toys, games and activities we carry in addition to traditional Montessori teaching materials.
~Christopher Perry, President
What we do
Our mission is to offer a wide variety of Montessori teaching materials, educational toys, games and related products that meet our standards of quality, durability and value, and to deliver those products to schools, daycares and individual parents with prompt, professional, friendly service. We will be easy to deal with. We will value your time and protect your privacy. And we will treat our customers the way we would want to be treated ourselves.
What you'll get
When you purchase from Thinkamajigs, you're investing in quality. Our products are thoughtfully designed and manufactured using premium woods, fabrics and other materials with certified non-toxic paints and finishes. We source our products from all over the world to offer you variety and value, delivered promptly and with no nonsense. When you purchase from Thinkamajigs you'll get great products at a great price with great service, because that's what we would want if we were the customer.
What people are saying about us
"I would like to add what a pleasure it is to shop on your website. You make buying materials so much easier!" - Mary from Ontario
"Thank you so much...I love the quality of the products!" - Sam from Saskatchewan
"Thank you again for the great customer service. I will be a returning customer in the near future and will recommend your store to friends and family." - Ashley from Ontario
"Just wanted to say thanks for the great customer service and the incredibly quick shipping. You beat the competitors by a million miles." - Kim from Québec
"Never seen a company who ships 400 dollars of stuff in 1 day. Will order again." - Rebecca from Ontario
"Thank you so much for the great quality and fast shipping." - Jill from Québec
"Your company made our new classrooms come to life. Always a pleasure doing business with you." - Terence from Alberta
"Thanks a lot, you guys are amazing!" - Andrei from Ontario
"I have heard horror stories of other Montessori material suppliers that are incredibly difficult to deal with. Your fantastic level of customer service has won me over." - Adair from North Carolina
Frequently Asked Questions
I'm concerned about privacy - what do you do to protect it?
Any credit card information you provide is encrypted by our payment processor - even we cannot see it apart from the transaction amount and the approval code. All personal information collected during ordering and check-out is used for the sole purpose of processing your order. Thinkamajigs does not and will not sell our customers' information or otherwise make it available to any third parties for any reason. Ever.
What payment options are available?
We accept Visa, MasterCard, PayPal and Apple Pay. Canadian customers may also pay by personal or company cheque. Orders from the United States and elsewhere will be charged in Canadian dollars; currency exchange rates will be determined by your credit card issuer, but you can get a rough idea of how it will work out using this currency converter. Extended terms or lease options may be available under certain circumstances – please contact us for details. All prices and shipping amounts are in Canadian dollars and are subject to change without notice.
Why are the packing peanuts in my parcel kind of sticky sometimes?
Because they're made of cornstarch! We do everything we can to reduce our impact on the environment, so we use packing fill that is made of cornstarch instead of styrofoam. Cornstarch packing peanuts provide excellent protection during shipping, and they dissolve easily in water so they won't clog up landfill sites - try holding one in your hand under running tap water and see for yourself! A minor side-effect is that they can sometimes feel a bit tacky if they are exposed to humidity or condensation. Our boxes are made of recycled materials and can be recycled again, and we try to re-use boxes when we can, provided that they are still structurally sound.
Can I come to your store to pick up my order or check stuff out before buying?
Yes. We do not have a retail store, however you are welcome to visit our warehouse at 285 Milliken Boulevard, unit 26 (in the Steeles & Kennedy area of Scarborough) to pick up your order or to check things out before you buy. If you live in the Greater Toronto Area and are placing an order online, you can select "Standard shipping (I will pick up my order)" as your method of shipping when checking out. Our hours can be somewhat irregular, so please call us at 1-800-363-3013 before dropping in to ensure that someone will be here to help you.
Do you offer classroom packages?
Yes. We offer four different classroom packages ranging from basic (great for use at home or in a small daycare) up to a fully equipped professional classroom. Click here to see the details, or contact us to receive a printable PDF copy of each package's contents.
I'm missing some pieces - do you have any replacement parts?
We do keep an ever-changing supply of replacement parts on hand. Let us know what you're missing and we'll do our very best to find the parts you need. Please keep in mind, however, that sizes and colors may not match up exactly, particularly if your materials were originally purchased from another supplier.
What brands do you carry?
We are proud to carry several different brands from around the world:
- Thinkamajigs: our own brand of quality-made, value-priced Montessori teaching materials. These products are made primarily of basswood, which is similar to white pine in terms of its hardness and weight. Certain elements are made of much harder and heavier beechwood where it really counts, such as in the Cylinder Blocks and in the frames around the edges of our Geography Puzzle Maps. Most of the Thinkamajigs-branded products are made in China.
- Gonzagarredi: made in Italy, Gonzagarredi products are among the very best Montessori teaching materials available in the world. They are certified by the Association Montessori Internationale (AMI), and are made of premium woods and fabrics with crafted joinery. While they are expensive compared to our own Thinkamajigs brand, the difference shines through in their beauty and durability.
- Didax: based in Massachusetts, Didax creates unique and innovative educational toys, games and other activities for infants through to elementary school levels.
- Plan Toys: based in Thailand, Plan Toys is dedicated to quality and sustainability. Their eco-friendly products are made from the wood of rubber trees that are no longer producing latex resin. These trees used to be cleared and burned, but Plan makes them into excellent quality toys, and sources their wood from within just a 30 km radius of their production facility. Their packaging contains all recyclable materials, and they use only water-based stains, so colors won't chip or flake.
- Melissa & Doug: based in Connecticut, Melissa & Doug (yes, there really is a Melissa and a Doug) is a well-known producer of a wide range of quality, imaginative toys. Since 1988 when they literally started creating products in their basement, this innovative company has grown into one of the most recognizable names in toys for curious young minds. With their excellent designs, top-notch manufacturing and reasonable prices, we are delighted to have M&D as part of our collection.
- Safari Ltd.: based in Florida, Safari began crafting top-quality, hand-painted figures for educational play in 1982. This family-owned company is well known for their highly detailed animal figures, and their collection of over 1000 toys now also includes fantasy, historical and prehistoric creatures. Safari supports a variety of nature and animal-related charities and conservation organizations.
- Begin Again Toys: based in Colorado, Begin Again strives to satisfy "AWISH" by producing toys and activities for the Artist, Writer, Inventor, Sportster and Hero. Their wooden products are made of eco-friendly rubber wood, and when they use plastics it's either recycled or plant-based bioplastics made in the USA.
- Doron Layeled: made in Holland, Doron Layeled's unique games and puzzles are produced in the finest European traditions of quality and innovation, with durable woods, bright colors and an unmistakable sense of whimsy.